Michel obtained her Bachelor of Science majoring in Genetics and Pathology, with honours, in 2013. Following, she was employed as research assistant at the University of Western Australia and Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research. Before she started her PhD at The Australian National University, Michel worked for the Lotterywest BioDiscovery Centre which was established to educate and inspire the community of the fascinating world of medical research. Michel commenced her PhD at in early 2017. Her interests focus on the public's opinions surrounding medical research and new medical technologies.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Diepeveen, L. A., Watson, M. E., McSpadden, S., Strauss, R., Callus, B., & Yeoh, G. C. (2015). Epigenetic modulators enhance constitutive and liver-specific reporter expression in murine liver progenitor cell lines. Tissue Engineering, 21(10), 1080-1087.
- Watson, M. E., Diepeveen, L. A., Stubbs, K. A., & Yeoh, G. C. (2015). Glycosylation-related Diagnostic and Therapeutic Drug Target Markers in Hepatocellular Carcinoma. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis, 24(3), 349-357.
Popular writing & opinion pieces
- Watson, M. (2017, December 17). Ask Fuzzy: Going viral for cellular change. The Canberra Times
- Watson, M. (2017, December 3). Ask Fuzzy: Repairing our genetic code with human gene therapy. The Canberra Times
- Watson, M. (2017, November 26). Ask Fuzzy: Gene editing breakthrough of the century. The Canberra Times
- ANU Media. (2017, October 30). ANU seeks public views on gene-altering technology. ANU Newsroom.
- Watson, M. (2017, October 19). A CRISPR way forward: developments in human gene therapy. Woroni Newspaper.
- Taylor, R., Watson, M. & Kurscheid, S. (2017, November 26). Fix those Genes. Interview for 2XX Fuzzy Logic Science Show.
- Varischetti, B. & Watson, M. (2017, October 12) Survey tests attitudes to human gene therapy. Interview for ABC Perth Drive.
- Watson, M., (2017, September) “A Deliberation on the Future of Human Gene Therapy in Australia” Centre for the Public Awareness of Science Biannual Conference. Canberra, Australia
- Watson, M. (2015, April) “Characterising the glycomic change between non-tumorigenic and tumorigenic liver progenitor cells” Harry Perkins Medical Research Conference. Perth, Australia
- Watson, M. (2014, November) "Glycomic alterations in liver progenitor cells" Fifth Margaret River Region Forum. Busselton, Australia.
- Watson, M. (2014, July)“Characterising the glycomic change between non-tumorigenic and tumorigenic liver progenitor cells” UCL-UWA-HGMU Collaborative Research Network Meeting 2014. London, United Kingdom.