Watch the recording
Please join the Australian National University and Lowitja Institute for the launch of The Lancet’s special issue: Advancing racial and ethnic equity in science, medicine, and global health.
The event will be held in person on Ngunawal Country in the Finkel Lecture Theatre on ANU Campus (131 Garran Road, Acton, ACT 2601) with an online option available.
The event will focus on racism within the Australian context, specifically Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ experiences of racism and its impacts on wellbeing. Join us at the launch to learn about the new findings from the Mayi Kuwayu Study, featured in the upcoming special issue, and to hear ideas on what we can all be doing to combat racism.
When: 9:30 AM-11:30 AM AEDT on Wednesday, 14 December
Where: Finkel Lecture Theatre, John Curtin School of Medical Research, ANU
The event will be facilitated by Dan Bourchier (ABC) and host a number of speakers:
- Uncle Wally Bell (Ngunawal) will provide a Welcome to Country Ceremony on behalf of the Ngunawal people.
- Professor Ian Anderson (Palawa; ANU; The Lancet) and Dr Mabel Chew (The Lancet) will describe The Lancet’s commitment to racial and ethnic equity, editorial initiatives and actions.
- Professor Ray Lovett (Ngiyampaa/Wongaibon; ANU) will present on the Mayi Kuwayu Study findings from the special issue.
- Dr Janine Mohamed (Narrunga Kaurna; Lowitja Institute) will discuss the implications of the Mayi Kuwayu Study findings, interventions to reduce racism, and Lowitja Institute resources.
- Panel discussion with Professor Peter Yu (Yawuru; ANU), Professor Tom Calma AO (Kungarakan/Iwaidja; University of Canberra), Dr Janine Mohamed (Narrunga Kaurna; Lowitja Institute), Professor Ian Anderson (Palawa; ANU; The Lancet), Dr Mabel Chew (The Lancet), and Professor Ray Lovett (Ngiyampaa/Wongaibon; ANU).
Please join us after the presentations for some light refreshments, and time to socialise and reflect.
If you have any questions about this event, please contact us at email@example.com.
* The Lancet’s upcoming special issue: Advancing racial and ethnic equity in science, medicine, and global health will be published in print on 8 December (UTC) and online on10 December (UTC).