As a Research Fellow, I am providing support to the ANU Department of Global Health on its various research and academic activities, including teaching Global Population Health and Research Design and Methods courses. I am also affiliated with the Centre for Mental Health Research at the ANU and am supporting impact analysis of digital mental health implementations. My research has strongly contributed to implementation science, providing a comprehensive, conceptual framework for scaling-up innovative health interventions in a real-world setting. Earlier, I was affiliated with icddr,b, a reputed international health research institute. At icddr,b, I led multiple research projects on infectious disease, nutrition, vaccination, HIV/AIDS and chronic diseases, publishing more than 70 papers, including peer-reviewed publications, book chapters and research reports. As a principal investigator, I have awarded nine research grants, totalling approximately US $2 million. I have developed networks among several international funding agencies, research institutes, UN bodies and global alliances, including the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (UK), the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) (Switzerland), Gavi–The Vaccine Alliance (Switzerland), Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME).
- Sarma, H. (2021). Implementation Science in Nutrition: A Summary and Synthesis. Public Health Nutrition, 1-18. doi:10.1017/S1368980021000884.
- Uddin MF, Molyneux S, Muraya K et al…. Sarma H, Chisti JA. Gender-related influences on adherence to advice and treatment-seeking guidance for infants and young children post-hospital discharge in Bangladesh. International Journal for Equity in Health. 2021;20(1):64.
- Muraya K, Ogutu M, Mwadhi M, et al….Sarma H…Marsh V. Applying a gender lens to understand pathways through care for acutely ill young children in Kenyan urban informal settlements. International Journal for Equity in Health. 2021 Dec;20(1):1-5.
- Sarma H, D'Este C, Ahmed T, Bossert TJ, Banwell C. Developing a Conceptual Framework for Implementation Science to Evaluate a Nutrition Intervention Scaled-up in a Real-World Setting. Public Health Nutrition. 2020 February 27:1-6. doi:10.1017/S1368980019004415.
- Sarma H, Uddin F, Islam MA, Rahman M, Aaron GJ, Harbour C, Banwell C, Ahmed T. Use of Concurrent Evaluation to Improve Implementation of a Home-fortification Programme in Bangladesh: A Methodological Innovation. Public Health Nutrition. 2020 March 5: 1-11. doi.org/10.1017/S1368980020000439
- Sarma H, Jabeen I, Luies SK, Uddin M.F, Ahmed T, Bossert TJ, et al. (2020) Performance of volunteer community health workers in implementing home-fortification interventions in Bangladesh: A qualitative investigation. PLoS ONE 15(4): e0230709. doi.org/10.1371/journal. pone.0230709
- Sarma H, Mbuya MNN, Tariqujjaman M, Rahman M, Askari S, Khondker R, Sultana S, Shahin SA, Bossert TJ, Banwell C, Neufeld LM, Ahmed T, D'Este C. The role of home-visits by volunteer Community Health Workers (CHW)–to improve the coverage of micronutrient powders in Rural Bangladesh. Public Health Nutrition. 2020 March 5: 1-11. doi.org/10.1017/S1368980020000038
- Sarma H, Tariqujjaman M, Mbuya MN, Askari S, Banwell C, Bossert TJ, D'Este C, Ahmed T. Factors associated with home visits by volunteer community health workers to implement a home-fortification intervention in Bangladesh: a multilevel analysis. Public Health Nutrition. 2020 January 27:1-4. doi.org/10.1017/S1368980019003768.
- Rahman M, Delarosa J, Luies SK, Alom KR, Quintanar-Solares M, Jabeen I, Ahmed T, Abu-Haydar E, Sarma H. Understanding key drivers and barriers to implementation of the WHO recommendations for the case management of childhood pneumonia and possible serious bacterial infection with amoxicillin dispersible tablets (DT) in Bangladesh: a qualitative study. BMC Health Services Research. 2020 Dec;20(1):1-2. doi.org/10.1186/s12913-020-4982-4.
- Tariqujjaman M, Rahman M, Luies SK, Karmakar G, Ahmed T, Sarma H. Unintended consequences of programmatic changes to infant and young child feeding practices in Bangladesh. Maternal & Child Nutrition. 2020 Oct 16:e13077. doi.org/10.1111/mcn.13077.
- Tariqujjaman M, Hasan MM, Moitry AN, Huda SQ, Irfan SD, Kafi MA, Azad MR, Sarma H, Hossain MB. Prevalence and correlates of HIV/AIDS knowledge among ever married women of reproductive age in Bangladesh: an update from the Bangladesh Demographic and Health Survey 2014. American Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health. 2020 Mar 18;6(2):26-38.
- Ahmed S, Sarma H, Hasan Z, Rahman M, Ahmed MW, Islam MA, Djimeu EW, Mbuya MN, Ahmed T, Khan JA. Cost-effectiveness of a market-based home fortification of food with micronutrient powder programme in Bangladesh. Public Health Nutrition. 2020 Oct 29:1-2. doi.org/10.1017/S1368980020003602
- Moucheraud C, Sarma H, Ha TT, Ahmed T, Epstein A, Glenn J, Hanh HH, Huong TT, Luies SK, Moitry AN, Nhung DP. Can complex programs be sustained? A mixed methods sustainability evaluation of a national infant and young child feeding program in Bangladesh and Vietnam. BMC Public Health. 2020 Dec;20(1):1-4. doi.org/10.1186/s12889-020-09438-2
- Wangdi K, Sarma H, Leaburi J, McBryde E, Clements AC. Evaluation of the malaria reporting system supported by the District Health Information System 2 in Solomon Islands. Malaria Journal. 2020 Dec;19(1):1-4. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12936-020-03442-y
- Zakayo SM, Njeru RW, Sanga G, Kimani MN, Charo A, Muraya K, Sarma H, Uddin MF, Berkley JA, Walson JL, Kelley M. Vulnerability and agency across treatment-seeking journeys for acutely ill children: how family members navigate complex healthcare before, during and after hospitalisation in a rural Kenyan setting. International Journal for Equity in Health. 2020 Dec;19(1):1-7. doi.org/10.1186/s12939-020-01252-x.
- Soi C, Shearer JC, Budden A, Carnahan E, Salisbury N, Asiimwe G, Chilundo B, Sarma H, Gimbel S, Simuyemba M, Uddin J. How to evaluate the implementation of complex health programmes in low-income settings: the approach of the Gavi Full Country Evaluations. Health policy and planning. 2020 Nov;35(Supplement_2):ii35-46. https://doi.org/10.1093/heapol/czaa127.
- Sarma H, Budden A, Luies SK, Lim SS, Shamsuzzaman M, Sultana T, Rajaratnam JK, Craw L, Banwell C, Ali MW, Uddin MJ (2019) Implementation of the World's largest measles-rubella mass vaccination campaign in Bangladesh: a process evaluation. BMC Public Health. 19(1):925. doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-7176-4
- Sarma H, Gerth-Guyette E, Shakil SA, Alom KR, Abu-Haydar E, Rozario MD, Tariqujjaman M, Arifeen SE, Ahmed T (2019) Evaluating the use of job aids and user instructions to improve adherence for the treatment of childhood pneumonia using amoxicillin dispersible tablets in a low-income setting: A mixed-method study. BMJ Open. 1;9(5):e024978. dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-024978
- Luies S K, Hossain M, Sarma H (2019) Awareness Among Parents About Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine in Routine Immunization Program to Prevent Pneumococcal Pneumonia in Bangladesh. Cureus 11(11): e6082. DOI 10.7759/cureus.6082
- Epstein A, Moucheraud C, Sarma H, Rahman M, Tariqujjaman M, Ahmed T, Glenn J, Bossert T, Kruk ME (2019) Does health worker performance affect clients' health behaviours? A multilevel analysis from Bangladesh. BMC Health Services Research. doi.org/10.1186/s12913-019-4205-z.
- Dwyer-Lindgren L, Squires ER, Teeple S, …Sarma H, …Lim SS. Small area estimation of under-5 mortality in Bangladesh, Cameroon, Chad, Mozambique, Uganda, and Zambia using spatially misaligned data. 2018. Population Health Metrics. 13;16(1):13. doi: 10.1186/s12963-018-0171-7
- Alom R, Sarma H. Understanding the capacity of civil society organisations' in strengthening adolescent's sexual and reproductive health rights in disaster-prone area of Bangladesh. Peoples’ Preface (2018) 2:2, ISSN 2520-7679.
- Sarma H, Islam MA, Khan JR, Chowdhury KIA, Gazi R. Impact of Teachers Training on HIV/AIDS Education Program among Secondary School Students in Bangladesh: A Cross-sectional Survey. PLOS One (2017), doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0181627.
- Sarma H, Uddin, MF, Rahman Khan JR, Asaduzzaman M, Tarannum S, Hasan MM, Rahman AS, Ahmed T. Factors Influencing the Prevalence of Stunting among Under-five Children in Bangladesh. Food and Nutrition Bulletin (2017) doi/10.1177/0379572117710103.
- Sarma H, Saquib N, Hasan MM, Saquib J, Rahman AS, Uddin J, Cullen MR, Ahmed T. Determinants of overweight and obesity among ever-married adult women in Bangladesh. BMC Obesity (2016) 3:13 DOI 10.1186/s40608-016-0093-5.
- Sarma H, Uddin, MF, Harbour C, Ahmed T. Factors Influencing Child Feeding Practices Related to Home Fortification of Micro-nutrient Powder among Caregivers of Under-5 Children in Bangladesh. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2016. DOI: 10.1177/0379572116645916.
- Uddin J, Alam N, Sarma H, Chowdhury MAH, Koehlmoos TP, Alam DS, Louis N. Consequences of hypertension and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, healthcare-seeking behaviours of patients, and responses of the health system: a population-based cross-sectional study in Bangladesh. BMC Public Health 2014,14:547.
- Uddin J, Sarma H, Wahed T, Ali MW, Koehlmoos TP, Nahar Q, Azim, Vulnerability of Bangladeshi street-children to HIV/AIDS: a qualitative study. BMC Public Health 2014, 14:1151.
- Sarma H, Gazi R, Islam M.A. Impact of training of teachers on their ability, skills, and confidence to teach HIV/AIDS in classroom: a qualitative assessment. BMC Public Health. 2013, 13:990 doi:10.1186/1471-2458-13-99.
- Uddin J, Sarma H, Bari TI, Koehlmoos T P. Introduction of new vaccine: decision-making process in Bangladesh. Journal of Health Population and Nutrition. 2013;31(2):211-17.
- Sarma H, Oliveras E. Implementing HIV/AIDS education: the impact of teachers' training on HIV/AIDS education in Bangladesh. Journal of Health Population and Nutrition, 2013;31(1): 20-7.
- Burchett HED, Mounier-Jack S, Griffiths U K, Biellik R, Ongolo-Zogo P, Chavez E, Sarma H, Uddin J, Konate M, Kitaw Y, Molla M, Wakasiaka S, Gilson L, Mills A. New vaccine adoption: qualitative study of national decision-making processes in seven low- and middle-income countries. Health Policy and Planning 2012;27:ii5–ii16.
- Sarma H, Oliveras E. Improving STI counseling services of non-formal providers in Bangladesh: Testing an alternative strategy. Sexually Transmitted Infections 2011;87:476-478.
- Koehlmoos T P, Uddin J, Sarma H. Impact of Measles eradication activities on routine immunisation services and health systems in Bangladesh. The Journal of Infectious Disease; 2011;204:S82–S89.
- Hanvoravongchai P, Mounier-Jack S, Cruz C O, Balabanova D, Biellik R, Kitaw Y, Koehlmoos T P, Loureiro S, Molla M, Nguyen H T, Ongolo-Zogo p, Sadykova U, Sarma H, Teixeira M, Uddin J, Dabbagh A, Griffiths U K. Disease eradication and health systems: the impacts of measles elimination activities on immunisation services and health systems in six countries. The Journal of Infectious Disease, 2011;204:S90-S97.
- Sarma H. Academic detailing: A strategy to disseminate health information to non-formal providers in Bangladesh. Health Science Bulletin, 2010;8(4).
- Gazi R, Khan SI, Haseen F, Sarma H, Islam M.A, Wirtz AL, Rahman M. Young clients of hotel-based sex workers in Bangladesh: Vulnerability to HIV, risk perceptions, and expressed need for interventions. International Journal of Sexual Health, 2009;21:167–182.
- Hanvoravongchai P, Mounier-Jack S, Cruz CO, Balabanova D, Biellik R, Kitaw Y, Koehlmoos TP, Loureiro S, Molla M, Nguyen HT, Ongolo-Zogo P, Sadykova U, Sarma H, Teixeira M, Uddin J, Dabbagh A, Griffiths UK. (2011) The Impacts of Measles Elimination Activities on Immunization Services and Health Systems in Six Countries. From "Disease Eradication in the 21st Century: Implications for Global Health", edited by S. L. Cochi and W. R. Dowdle. Strüngmann Forum Report, vol. 7, J. Lupp, series ed. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. ISBN 978-0-262-01673-5.
- Alom R, Sarma H, Sarker F (2017) Sexual and Reproductive Health Vulnerabilities of the Adolescents in a Coastal District of Bangladesh, edited by Islam Z, Shafie H, Mahmood R. Culture, Adaptation and Resilience: Bangladesh Climate Change Trust and Department of Anthropology, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh. ISBN 978-984-34-3288-9.
on routine immunisation