Kudakwashe Chani is currently a PhD student in the Department of Global Health, RSPH, at the Australian National University. His research focuses on the impact of decentralisation of Xpert MTB/RIF assay on TB and MDR-TB care in Zimbabwe.
Prior to undertaking his PhD, Dr Chani gained a Master of Public Health (MPH) from University of South Africa and Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBChB) from the University of Zimbabwe. Dr Chani has over 24 years’ experience spanning clinical medicine and designing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating complex public health programs in southern Africa and the Pacific. His research interests are in health systems and policy, tuberculosis (including drug-resistant TB), HIV and maternal and child health.
Dr Chani’s work experience is from Zimbabwe, Namibia, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga and Australia, where he worked for several organisations including ministries/departments of health, non-governmental and faith based organisations.
- Alene, K.A., Wangdi, K., Colquhoun, S., Chani, K., Islam, T., Rahevar, K., Morishita, F., Byrne, A., Clark, J. and Viney, K., 2021. Tuberculosis related disability: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC medicine, 19(1), pp.1-19. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-021-02063-9
- Adepoyibi, T., Keam, T., Kuma, A., Haihuie, T., Hapolo, M., Islam, S., Akumu, B., Chani, K., Morris, L. and Taune, M., 2019. A pilot model of patient education and counselling for drug-resistant tuberculosis in Daru, Papua New Guinea. Public health action, 9(Suppl 1), p.S80. DOI: 10.5588/pha.18.0096
- De Beer I, Chani K, Feeley F, Rinke De Wit TF, Sweeney-Bindels E, Mulongeni P. Assessing the costs of mobile voluntary counseling and testing at the work place versus facility based voluntary counseling and testing in Namibia. Rural and Remote Health 2015; 15: 3357. https://doi.org/10.22605/RRH3357
- Chani, K. and Cassim, N., 2014. An Investigation of Staff Turnover at a Private Healthcare Provider in the Kavango Region, Namibia. Kuwait Chapter of the Arabian Journal of Business and Management Review, 4(1), p.24. DOI:10.12816/0018888
- Chani, K. 2010. Factors affecting compliance to tuberculosis treatment in Andara Kavango region Namibia (masters dissertation). https://uir.unisa.ac.za/handle/10500/4778