The aim of building network of leaders in interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research organisations is to:
- Foster interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research and education within and across organisations
- Inspire and support researchers to achieve transformational impact on global challenges by:
- Creating supportive environments and infrastructure
- Developing effective metrics for excellence, impact and return on investment
- Improving funding availability and outcomes
- Supporting next generation organisational leaders
- Providing effective career paths and role models for interdisciplinarians and transdisciplinarians at all levels, and especially to support early-career researchers
- Developing workable transition pathways to implementation of new metrics and effective career paths.
There is an active Oceania region network, the Network for Interdisciplinary and Transdisciplinary Research Organisations (NITRO) - Oceania; see http://nitro-oceania.net.
There is also a global network: see https://nitro-oceania.net/global-network/. This has produced a report and two academic papers:
Palmer, L. (2018) Meeting the leadership challenges for interdisciplinary environmental research. Nature Sustainability, 1, 330-333. (Online): https://rdcu.be/234H.
Gordon, I.J., Bawa, K., Bammer, G., Boone, C., Dunne, J., Hart, D., Hellmann, J., Miller, A., New, M., Ometto, J., Pickett, S., Wendorf, G., Agrawal, A., Bertsch, P., Campbell, C.D., Dodd, P., Janetos, A., Mallee, H., Taylor K. 2019 ‘Forging future organizational leaders for sustainability science’ Nature Sustainability 2: 647-649; doi:10.1038/s41893-019-0357-4.
Boone, C.G., Pickett, S.T.A, Bammer, G., Bawa, K., Dunne, J.A., Gordon, I.J., Hart, D., Hellmann, J., Miller, A., New, M., Ometto, J.P., Taylor K., Wendorf, G., Agrawal, A., Bertsch, P., Campbell, C., Dodd, P., Janetos, A., Mallee, H. 2020 ‘Preparing interdisciplinary leadership for a sustainable future.’ Sustainability Science Online First http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11625-020-00823-9