I work as part of an interdisciplinary team of academics and policy makers on the ARC Linkage grant “Working longer, staying healthy, keeping productive”. We investigate the complex longitudinal relationships between work participation, work conditions and hours, social and gendered disadvantage, income, savings and mature age workers’ productivity and health. I also work on a Discovery research project “Addressing the hour-glass ceiling: New case for action on gender equality”. This project aims to quantify the underlying and uncounted time limit affecting gender equality in health, wealth and the labour market, laying the foundation for new policy action.
I undertake longitudinal analyses using the HILDA (Household Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia Survey), the German SOEP (Socio-Economic Panel) data, support the analysis of a workplace manager survey, and be co-investigator in research projects with other external institutes/universities. I mainly manage the quantitative aspects of the project, liaise with partners, key stakeholders and contribute to project publications and reports, including dissemination with key stakeholders including policy makers and business leaders.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Doan, T., Strazdins, L., and Leach, L. (2020). Cost of poor health to the labour market returns to education in Australia – another pathway for socio-economic inequality. The European Journal of Health Economics. Doi: 10.1007/s10198-020-01163-2
- Furuya-Kanamori, L., Lin, L., Chang, X., Doan, T., et al (2020). P-value driven methods are underpowered to detect publication bias: Findings from an analysis of 5014 meta-analyses from Cochrane review. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 117(2/2020), 86-92. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0895435619303816?via%3Dihub
- Ha, V., Holmes, M., Doan, T., and Hassan, G. (2019). Does foreign investment enhance domestic manufacturing firms’ labour productivity? Evidence from a quantile regression approach. Economic Change and Restructuring. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10644-019-09251-x
- Tuyen Tran & Tinh Doan & Huong Vu & Hien Nguyen (2019). Heterogeneous impacts of provincial governance on household welfare in Vietnam. International Journal of Social Welfare, John Wiley & Sons, 28(2), 229-240. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/toc/14682397/2019/28/2
- Doan, T., Tran, T., & Nguyen, H. (2018). Local Competitiveness and Labour Market Returns in a Transition Economy: Evidence from Vietnam. Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Japan.
- Nguyen, H., Doan, T., & Tran, T. (2018). The effect of various income sources on income inequality: A comparison across ethnic groups in Vietnam. Environment Development and Sustainability. https://link.springer.com/journal/10668
- Doan, T., Tran, T., and Le, Q. (2017). Lost in transition: Declining returns to education in Vietnam. The European Journal of Development Research, Springer. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1057/s41287-017-0080-9
- Tuyen Tran & Thanh Nguyen & Huong Vu & Tinh Doan (2017). Religiosity and Subjective Well-Being Among Old People: Evidence from a Transitional Country, Applied Research in Quality of Life, Springer;International Society for Quality-of-Life Studies, vol. 12(4), 947-962. Springer. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11482-016-9500-9
- Tran, T., Vu, H., & Doan, T. (2016). Factors affecting the intensity of nonfarm participation among ethnic minorities in Northwest Mountains, Vietnam. International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Publisher. Available at http://www.emeraldinsight.com/loi/ijse
- Doan, T., & Tran, T. (2016). Credit participation and constraints of the poor in peri-urban areas, Vietnam: A micro-econometric analysis of a household survey. Argumenta Oeconomica, Wroclaw University of Economics.
- Doan, T., Nguyen, S., Vu, H., Tran, T., & Lim, S. (2016). Does rising import competition harm local firm productivity in less advanced economies? Evidence from the Vietnam’s manufacturing sector. The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development: An International and Comparative Review, 25(1), 23-46. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09638199.2015.1035739
- Doan, T., Gibson, J, & Tran, T. (2016). Heterogeneous Credit Impacts on Health Care Spending of the Poor in Peri-Urban Areas, Vietnam. Open SAGE, November 2016, 1-5. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/2158244016679235
- Doan, T., Iyer, K., & Mare, D. (2015). FDI spillover effects on domestic firms’ productivity in New Zealand. New Zealand Economic Papers, 49(3), 249-275. Routledge Taylor and Francis Publisher. Available at http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00779954.2014.945229?journalCode=rnzp20#%2EVBp1DJSSzWY
- Doan, T., Gibson, J., & Holmes, M. (2014). Household credit to the poor and its impacts on child schooling. International Development Planning Review, Vol. 36, No.4. Liverpool University Press. Available at http://liverpool.metapress.com/content/02h7307x2487064q/
- Doan, T, Gibson, J., & Holmes, M. (2014). Impact of Household Credit on Education and Healthcare Spending by the Poor in Peri-Urban Areas, Vietnam. Journal of Southeast Asian Economies, Vol. 31, No.1. Available at https://bookshop.iseas.edu.sg/publication/1972
- Vu, H., Lim, S., Holmes, H., & Doan, T. (2013). Firm Exporting and Employee Benefits: First Evidence from Vietnam Manufacturing SMEs. Economics Bulletin, Vol. 33, No. 1, p. 519-53. Available at http://www.accessecon.com/Pubs/EB/2013/Volume33/EB-13-V33-I1-P49.pdf
- Doan, T., & Stevens, P. (2012). Evolution of Competition in Vietnam Industries over the Recent Economic Transition. Economics, Vol. 6, 2012-19. Kiel Institute for the World Economy. http://dx.doi.org/10.5018/economics-ejournal.ja.2012-19
- Doan, T., Gibson, J. (2012). Return to education in Vietnam during the recent transformation. International Journal of Education Economics and Development, Vol. 3 No. 4. Available at http://www.inderscience.com/info/inarticle.php?artid=52322
- Doan, T., & Stevens, P. (2011). Labour market returns to higher education in Vietnam. Economics, Vol. 5, 2011-12. Kiel Institute for the World Economy. http://dx.doi.org/10.5018/economics-ejournal.ja.2011-12
Selected working papers and conference presentations
- Doan, T., Lyndall, S., Dinh, H., Yazidjoglou, A.,and Do, T. (2019). Poor health locked out – rising health and economic inequality in the mature aged population in Australia. Paper presented at International Alliance of Research Universities. Centre for Research on Ageing, Health and Wellbeing Symposium, the Australian National University, 29 Oct 2019- 1 Nov 2019.
- Doan, T., LaBond, C., and Strazdins, L. (2019). Age, time and health limit: what hours could older workers work? Paper presented at the Emerging Health Policy Research Conference
the University of Sydney, 26 June 2019.
- Doan, T., & Tran, T., and Nguyen, H. (2018). Local Competitiveness and Labour Market Returns in a Transition Economy: Evidence from Vietnam. Working Papers in Economics 18/06, University of Waikato.
- Doan, T., Tran, T., and Le, Q. (2016). Lost in transition: Declining returns to education in Vietnam. University of Waikato Working Paper in Economics 1601.
- Doan, T., Iyer, K., & Mare, D. (2014). FDI spillover effects on domestic firms’ productivity in New Zealand. Occasional Papers 14/01. Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, New Zealand.
- Doan, T., Nguyen, S., Tran, T., Vu, H., & Lim, S. (2014). Does Rising Import Competition Harm Local Firm Productivity in Less Advanced Economies? Evidence from Vietnam's Manufacturing Sector. Working Papers No. 14/09. Department of Economics, the University of Waikato.
- Devine, H., Doan, T., & Stevens, P. (2012). Explaining Productivity Distribution in New Zealand Industries: The effects of input quality on firm productivity differences. Paper presented at the 53nd New Zealand Association of Economists Annual Conference (NZAE 2012), 26 June – 29 June, 2012, Palmerston North. http://www.nzae.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Devine_Productivity-Distribution-NZAE-2012-14-June.pdf
- Doan, T., Devine, H., Nunns, P., & Stevens, P. (2012). Firm entry and exit in New Zealand industries. Paper presented at the 53nd New Zealand Association of Economists Annual Conference (NZAE 2012), 26 June – 29 June, 2012, Palmerston North. http://www.nzae.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Stevens-et-al-NZAE-2012-Firm-Entry-Exit.pdf
- Doan, T., Devine, H., Mok, P., & Stevens, P. (2012). Decomposition of New Zealand firm productivity, 2001-2008. Paper presented at the 53nd New Zealand Association of Economists Annual Conference (NZAE 2012), 26 June – 29 June, 2012, Palmerston North. http://www.nzae.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Doan_NZAE-2012-submission_Tinh-Doan.pdf
- Vu, H., & Lim., S., & Holmes, M., & Doan, T. (2012). Firm Exporting and Employee Benefits: First Evidence from Vietnam Manufacturing SMEs. Working Papers in Economics 12/12, University of Waikato, Department of Economics. http://ideas.repec.org/p/wai/econwp/12-12.html
- Devine, H., Doan, T., Iyer, K, Mok, P., & Stevens, P. (2011). The dynamics of competition in New Zealand. Paper presented at the 52nd New Zealand Association of Economists Annual Conference (NZAE 2011), 29 June – 01 July, 2011, Wellington.
- Devine, H., Doan, T., Iyer, K, Mok, P., & Stevens, P. (2011). Competition in New Zealand industries: Measurement and Evidence. Paper presented at the 52nd New Zealand Association of Economists Annual Conference (NZAE 2011), 29 June – 01 July, 2011, Wellington.